Intellectually Stunted

As my body clock is tuned to the early-morning-get-up-for-work thing, one of my favourite occupations early on a Sunday morning, is to sit in bed with the laptop, and browse through the online newspapers. I often look at the Times Literary Supplement (TLS) online, and while its all very high-brow, I don't usually come away feeling intellectually retarded.
Until today.
Maybe its because it Sunday which is my one lazy day of the week, maybe its because I'm tired after a week of work, events and overtime...but this morning I feel the intellectual equivalent of a mollusc! All because I love reading lists of the 100 Best.....whatevers.
The TLS has a list of the Hundred Most Influential Books Since The War - and no, Harry Potter is not listed. Of the hundred books listed, I have read all or part of nine. I pretty much stared at most of the rest and thought either 'Who?' or 'What?'
So, I'm off to my Ladybird Book of ABCs and then hopefully be cheered up by magician John Lenahan who is performing magic and signing his book 'Shadowmagic' in my beloved Chidlren's Department today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment