Review: The Five People You Meet in Heaven - Albom



I’ve had to have a good long think about what to write because Albom’s book could be so easily dismissed. It is in great part very sentimental, but does that make it less of a good read? I say not.
The premise is that the five people you meet in heaven all have something to tell you about your life, to help explain it to you. Everyone’s heaven is different, and the five people are not who you might necessarily expect to meet. That was certainly the case for Eddie, the main character. Albom cleverly takes us through Eddie’s life by means of visiting his birthdays down the years; we learn so much in such a small amount of writing.
It is a fascinating exploration of the many and diverse effects people have on each other, whether they have met or not; and of how connected we are without realising it. This isn’t one of the greatest works of fiction ever written, but it’s definitely worth reading.
Is it life-changing? Maybe. Maybe not. What I can say, is that it certainly made me stop and think about how I and my actions might affect others. Read it and make up your own mind.

0 comments:

Post a Comment