Review: Wasted by Mark Johnson

Wasted by Mark Johnson
‘Misery memoirs’ are not for me. One or two have been worth the pain and anguish of reading; clearly shining a light into dark corners society would rather remain hidden, but too many are jumping on the band wagon, however cruel and heartless that may seem. While they are no doubt great therapy for the writer, quite what the reader is meant to gain I’m not sure. So when my reading group presented me with two books, I ended up reading Wasted only because I disliked the alternative too much.

Words like raw, brutal, and agonising, spring to mind in describing this book, but so do tender, brave, and honest. Mark doesn’t take us on a full journey through his life from childhood, through addiction and rehabilitation to the ‘green pastures’ he now finds himself in. He doesn’t pull his punches but writes simply and honestly about his years of abuse, addiction and offending. Although I have had experience in talking about drugs and addiction, I have never understood the attraction. No-one has ever been able to give me an explanation as to why the buzz is so attractive - until now. Mark’s vivid description of a high, made me sit up and take notice. So that’s how it feels – that’s why they go back for more.

This is an amazing book. Every parent, social worker, teacher, probation officer, in fact anyone who works with for and on behalf of children, should read it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment