I'm A Photographer Not A Terrorist

I'm having a good search through is PhotoRights - it seems a good place, and certainly the place to ask questions about your rights. Last year I posted the following on Facebook. Sadly, it is just as relevant now as it was a year ago. These days I carry a Bust Card just in case the police or a PCSO stops me. You can download it from the I'm A Photographer Not A Terrorist website.

I also came across this film about the law, photographer's rights, what the polce can do, and so forth. Its on the NUJ website, and features photographer Peter Macdiarmid and solicitor Anna Mazzola, who works for one of the leading criminal justice and human rights law firms. Video


There appears to be some confusion regarding the info I posted about the Counter Terrorism Act and Section 76 - section 76 really does exist - it adds to section 58 of the act. Also about the police and PCSOs stopping people, deleting photos, and such like. Unless the rules and laws have been changed and no-one noticed, we have the right to film and take photographs in public places (private property is a different matter) without interference. The police cannot make you delete photographs, confiscate your camera, etc, without a court order. They actually have to have a really good reason to stop you in the first place. As for PCSOs - they have even less authority - read them here.

So at the risk of being boring, I'll post links to the info I have. They're offical websites such as the government OPSI (Office of Public Sector Information) and the PNLD (Police National Legal Database).

The following is the section in the act open to mis-use and mis-understanding (as we have seen) Please note, it says NOTHING about buildings, transport, children, the general public, etc etc. Scroll down to Section 76. Click here.

The following links to the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 PACE Code A amended January 2009. There is a PDF to open and it is interesting reading.

The following are links to police stop and search procedures:

One Two Three Four Five Six Seven

If anything has changed with regards to the above information, please let me know, give me links to the info and so forth.
In the meantime, enjoy your photography and filming!

0 comments:

Post a Comment