We few.....we band of brothers

I've just watched episodes one and two of Band of Brothers, back to back. I happened upon the start of episode one while searching for something else, I cannot remember what now. 

When the fighting started, I was struck by the lack of that 'hoo-rah' extreme aggressive attitude that seems prevalent in modern American films about war, where, in order to 'win the day', the men (boys) are wound up into a state of  screaming, violent agitation. Band of Brothers  trying to keep a cool head under fire style of fighting was a startling contrast to the arrogant, macho-aggressive-gung-ho attitude depicted as modern warfare.

So many things jumped into my mind. Shakespeare's Henry V speech, where the series title comes from. Col. Tim Collins' 2003 eve-of-battle speeech to his men. The words of a Chelsea pensioner talking about war, forgetting I was there; the only woman and civilian at a table of half a dozen serving male soldiers.

None of them are about arrogance, superiority, or the glory of war. They are all about the ferocity of battle, the magnaminity of victory, the brotherhood of soldiering. As the body bags return from Iraq and Afghanistan, I feel these words are worth reading. So I'll post each of them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment