Something In The Air

It's been a weird week. People have been quite unpleasant on the whole. Thats not to say there haven't been lovely customers, because of course there have, but generally speaking, customers have varied through the spectrum of unpleasantness between off-hand and downright rude and insulting.

My pick of the week was the smiling assassin. A lady who told a colleague that book he recommended was like reading Janet & John. It was written for idiots. She repeated each of these comments at least twice more as he tried to engage her in a meaningful conversation and after he told her it was one of his favourite books. She smiled the whole way through.

Two thoughts struck me as I stood by, surprisingly dumbstruck:
First, she doesn't know what she's saying & how rude she's being
Second, she's not actually listening to what he's saying.

Afterwards, considering her demeanour throughput the exchange, my third thought & final conclusion was that she thought she was being terribly clever & smart, and she didn't care how rude & insulting she was being.

Let me make it clear - the book in question is neither 'Janet & John' nor is it written for idiots. It's a weighty tome of historical fiction. (Names & titles are purposely excluded.)

However...

My absolute favourite customer this week was a four year live wire of a boy who, when I asked was he wanted to be when he grew up, pondered the question, looked me in the eye with all seriousness and said:

"Tall."

Love it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment